Monday, June 25, 2007

Why I have so much trouble decorating . . .

So, here we are, eight months since I took my new job and I still haven't really decorated/customized/personalized my desk cubicle. Don't get me wrong, I've got the usual office desk accessories, name plate, etc. but there's nothing that reflects my unique style or flair, per se.

Why not? Um, well, truth be told, I'm still trying to figure out what my style or flair is! LOL

I know, that's pathetic, isn't it? I've been me for 37 years now, so you'd think I'd have some idea of who I am and what I'm all about. In all fairness, I do have some idea of who I am and what kind of person I want to be in the future-- but it's difficult to translate that into purchases at your local Ikea, you know?

No, the unique form of expression I'm looking for and talking about isn't likely to be found in a store. My predecessor, for instance, had these fantastic masks hanging on her wall-- almost like some of the pieces you might have seen in "Phantom of the Opera" or "The Masque of the Red Death." These are the sort of pieces that someone spent hours agonizing over. I've never seen anything elsewhere that quite compares. Very unique-- like her own artistic signature. That's the effect I want.

And, I think I may have just figured out how to achieve it!

I decided to try my hand at red wine this year. So, you buy a bottle of wine . . . and what do you do with it when you are done?

You could recycle it.

Or put water and two flowers in it, use it as a table centerpiece.

Or, you could turn it into an impossible, thought provoking piece of art.

Hell, yes! The whole impossible object in a bottle is so symbolic and representative of who I am and what I do. Especially if I can figure out how to get some tech gadget or piece of computer equipment in there!

(Why do I have the strangest feeling that I'm going to be obsessed about this and spend my whole vacation on it?) ;)

No comments: