Sunday, June 24, 2007

All about memes

Although I find the overall phenomenon of World Wide Web memes interesting, I find the actual content of most memes to be . . . well, vapid. Take the whole Mad Libs-esque "I'm in your [noun], [verb]ing your [noun]!" meme, for instance. Apparently that was started from an episode of video game trash talk, namely "I'm in your base, killin' your doodz!" Somebody must have thought it was clever and funny enough to genericize it for a meme framework. So, now I can look forward to podcast titles and blog entries all over the World Wide Web with sentences such as:

  • "I'm in your fridge, drinkin' your beerz!"

  • "I'm on your Wifi, downloading your pron!"

  • "I'm in your Netflix queue, laughin' at your movie recommendationz!"



Maybe I'm just too old or cultural illiterate to appreciate the mass appeal of this particular meme. The best instance of a variation I can come up with is: "I'm in your HTML template, fixin' your validation errorz!" (I know, you don't get it-- welcome to my world, because that's how *I* feel when I read most other people's memes.) Asking someone to explain the appeal of a meme is like asking someone to explain why the joke they just told you is funny.

Plus, I don't really care about comprehension . I'm interested in manufacturing.

Can a meme be engineered and manufactured? If so, what makes a good/popular/effective meme?

No comments: