Sunday, November 2, 2008

Micro Center - Combination Notebook Lock

Micro Center - Combination Notebook Lock: "A physical and visual deterrent to theft, easy to use and extremely portable."

More like horrible mess and nightmare. One night a week, I have to leave my laptop at the office over night so it can perform an auto-scheduled backup of my web sites. I worry someone's going to "help themselves" to it-- we've had a bit of a problem with that lately. Personally, I blame the dreadful economy. So I bought this product, figuring my laptop would be less prone to vanish if it was tethered to my desk.

First, it says it works with any computer that has a VGA port. Sadly, it should read "works with any computer that has a VGA port with attaching screws." My ASUS eeePC has a VGA port, but no attaching screws, so this product wouldn't work for it.

Second, it's a pain in the ass to use. Directions are better than average, but the complete operation (setting the combination, locking the lock, unlocking the lock) is not intuitive. Do this, press this button, do that, press this other button sideways-- AUUGHH!

Third, when I used it, and tried to unlock/unscrew this cable from my work laptop's VGA port, it literally would not unscrew and pulled the attaching screw off from the side of my VGA port instead.

Trust me, it's not worth the hassle or the money.

No comments: