Friday, October 31, 2008

Et Tu, O'Reilly?

I've spent the past two days agonizing over Chapter 2 of "Learning Javascript." I read the chapter twice, took extensive notes . . . and just failed the mini-quiz at the end of the chapter.

It's this sort of thing that makes me want to burn computer books. Seriously.

First of all, the answers in the Appendix (p. 317) seem to have two typographical errors in them. Then, on top of that, the last question turns out to have been a "trick question." Um, yeah-- because throwing a trick question at someone on the first quiz/test, while they are trying to get the initial material under their belt and figuring out if they can trust you as a useful source of information is so productive.

I will admit-- there were some questions I legitimately missed (the single quote mark in question 3 prematurely ending the string and the asterisk in one of the variable names in question 1 being a Javascript operator for multiplication). However, I picked a different verb in my function name (returnTheMonth vs. getTheMonth) than the author did in her appendix, even though I used the same verb from her own chapter. Who writes a question based on the arbitrary selection of a verb?

Personally, I'm feeling de-motivated to re-learn Javascript right now. :(

No comments: