Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Next time around . . . .

Every year, I seem to go through the same frantic bullshit. There's always one or two pieces of documentation that the tax preparer needs which I somehow failed to provide them. It doesn't matter that from January til March, I put every envelope that has a "IMPORTANT TAX DISCLAIMER" in a special container-- something always winds up not getting to its destination.

I know, that sounds irrational-- like the "men in black suits" are tampering with my postal mail, doesn't it? ;)

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. Don't worry, I have not gone around the bend quite yet.

One of the documents I miss tends to be the receipt for my vehicle property tax. In Virginia, we get the initial notice/verification in the spring, but the actual tax has to be paid in October. So from October to Income Tax Day is nearly 6 months! The timing is all wrong for that, from my perspective.

Next year, I'm scanning every single document the tax person needs, converting it to a PDF, and sending it to them via email. No more of this running around like a jack rabbit at the last minute, trying to find some way to get my hands on a paper copy. I've just had it with that.

No comments: