Monday, March 3, 2008

Logo for new web site-- what do YOU think?



I've been kicking around the idea of retiring this blog and replacing it with a more "comprehensive" web site-- something I can actually host files on, maybe play around with some kind of programming projects or podcasting. Maybe start trying to leverage some of the social networking dynamics I keep reading so much about? Truth be told, it's so early in the process that I can't begin to tell where it will be, how it will work, etc.

One thing I do know, however, is that a new web presence means a new web design-- which means I need to get cracking on a new logo/text treatment. I've decided to play around with the whole rooster/Chanticleer theme of my alias a bit. Since the rooster also happens to be my animal in the Chinese calendar, and Chinese characters are ideographs (i.e. picture writing), I thought using the Chinese character(s) for rooster as part of the site logo might be visually interesting.

It turns out, there's a lot to know about Chinese and Chinese fonts-- far more than I originally expected. First of all, I had to choose between Simplified or Traditional Chinese. I opted for the Simplified Chinese because it was designed with the goal of greater literacy-- I figure if I ever have a chance at learning to read Chinese, this is most likely to be the type of writing I will see and learn. Then, as if this choice alone wasn't enough, it turns out that Apple includes something almost half a dozen different fonts for Simplified Chinese!

So, here's the deal-- I've created an image file of the rooster ideograph in the different fonts for Simplified Chinese and labelled each with a font name. Look at the graphic and decide which you find most visually appealing as a potential web site logo, and let your choice be known in the comments!

No comments: