Saturday, January 26, 2008

Thank you, Mr. Henry Kingman

Some time ago, I signed up for the Linux Devices email newsletter. The goal was to keep up with current developments and products as I learned/re-learned about Linux. It's not the world's greatest newsletter in terms of design and presentation, but it's got one or two interesting nuggets in it every issue, so I stay subscribed to it. The other day, a copy of Windows Devices showed up in my mailbox. I thought it was a little odd, but figured it was probably some cross promotional gimmick-- you know, something along the lines of Netflix's recommendation feature. Except instead of "Based on the fact that you rented Kill Bill 2, you might enjoy Natural Born Killers . . . " it's actually, "Since you've been subscribed to our Linux Devices newsletter, we thought you might also find our Windows Devices newsletter to be of interest."

I skimmed it, nothing really grabbed me, and deleted it without a second thought. A day or so later, I got the following email referencing the Windows Devices newsletter I'd received.
From: LinuxDevices.com Editor
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:39 PM
Subject: A message from the editor of LinuxDevices.com

Dear LinuxDevices newsletter subscriber,

Earlier today, you may have mistakenly received the WindowsForDevices
newsletter, because I accidentally set one of the knobs in our
newsletter scheduling tool incorrectly. Please accept my personal
apology. I regret any concerns or inconvenience the erroneous email may
have caused.

Best wishes,

-Henry
--
Henry Kingman, senior editor
DeviceForge Group
Ziff Davis Enterprise
I consider this remarkable. Bear in mind, I live in the DC Metro area-- where "Virginia is for lovers" slogan has been replaced by "It wasn't me; I didn't even know about it!" I've worked for organizations where people have lied in writing to avoid responsibility for minor, insignificant mistakes-- so to see someone send out an email that publicly accepts responsibility for their own actions, and then apologize for them, is a pleasant surprise.