Sunday, January 27, 2008

Random Access #213

(warning: random brain dump in progress, no logical/coherent threads are to be anticipated)

new library in Fairfax City, attended opening. Very impressive site, but crowd was pushy and rude. Should write entry about features of the new library. Wish I had cell phone camera for pics-- write about features, problems with the old library, how the new library solves them, etc., ignore the people aspect.

All my friends seem to be unhappy at the same time. It's not my job to make them happy, of course, but they all turn to me because I'm "the one who listens." They ask me for advice, I point out one or two things they can try new/different, and they go right back to the same bad habits they were doing before they asked me for advice. (sigh) Maybe it's just the full moon.

Tried a new breakfast place yesterday. They serve salmon/onion omelets. Good to know for my desire to eat salmon more often. Need to get that recipe. Should caramelize the onions first, though.

House renovations are underway. Very early in the first phase at this point. Turns out the attic insulation situation is not as bad as we thought it was-- now it's just a matter of putting down plywood for flooring and turning the attic into a storage unit. How do you fit 30 4' x 8' boards in a Honda Prelude, anyway? ;)

Finished Seth Godin's "FREE PRIZE INSIDE" book yesterday (in the nice quiet study room of the library). Well, okay-- still need to read the end notes, but the main text is done. Plenty of interesting tidbits there, I'm sure.

Moviefone IM chatbot is finally back online. Too funny-- for weeks, whenever I tried to use it, I got a message that it was offline for a short time, but would return soon. The "short time" was at least two weeks. Of course, there was no way to contact anyone at Moviefone to let them know their chatbot was AWOL. (AWOL isn't right acronym, but I don't know a better one)

I should write a chatbot someday. Not sure what it would do exactly, which is a major thing. Perhaps a koan bot? You say "hello" to it, and it comes back at you with a zen riddle? Hey, I've seen worse ideas.

Need to get into/finish Chris Anderson's "The Long Tail." And then pick up Godin's next book, "Unleashing the Idea Virus." I read all these non-fiction books, but . . . never seem to get the opportunity to apply them. is that a bad thing? Should I do something about that? I want to live in Seth Godin's world, where people are competent and honest! ;)

Dunbar's number seems to keep cropping up in places for me lately. I'm thinking I should create a new blog, restrict it to private invite only, and then invite only "my" 150 people as fellow authors. Do I even know 150 people? I've got 147 contacts in my cell phone (with 103 left), but a lot of those are companies, restaurants and services. Companies have blogs, obviously, but I don't think that really counts towards my 150. ;)