Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Day 3 of my DST opportunity

Got up at 5:30 AM again. The act of getting up and out of bed has been surprisingly easy for me, so far. I guess my circadian rhythms are still on the old pattern at this point, so my body's "ready" to wake up by the time my cell phone alarm sounds.

I did make one small change in the routine, and it sort of bombed. I'd been popping DVDs into my iBook, figuring I could get through my Netflix queue while I got in my cardio. But, since I'd finished "Wordplay", my next movie would have been that old Tarantino classic "Reservoir Dogs"-- and that's just a little too much to take at 5:30 in the AM!

So, I decided to switch to podcasts instead. I figured I had a huge backlog of those to get through anyway, so it'd be a helpful switch. Here's the weird part-- I can watch/listen to a DVD while I'm working out, no problem. But, when I try to listen to a podcast, the audio gets drowned out by the noise of the XL Glider. It's the same iBook, same volume level-- you'd think it would work, but it doesn't. All I can figure is that it must have something to do with the audio quality of the podcast itself.

So, unless I find some way to boost the audio on the podcasts, I won't be listening to those when I work out in the near future.

I did manage to get my 20+ minutes of cardio workout accomplished. Today was particularly challenging because I had to arrive an hour early at work for our fall conference, but I still managed to get my work out in. I just hope I can stick with this habit long enough to derive some long term health benefits from it. I think Saturday morning will be the real test, of course.