Sunday, July 8, 2007

One Fine Day

Yesterday was a pretty good day.

I managed to catch the new Michael Moore flick, SiCKO, while waiting for my car to be inspected, get an oil change, etc. I was afraid it was going to be an inflammatory movie that just got me riled up, but it was actually quite thought provoking. I actually remember a lot of the rhetoric about "socialized medicine" that got thrown around so heavily during the Clinton health reform era-- but I don't remember anyone pointing out that lots of other existing services, such as free public schooling, libraries, fire stations, police and such, also happen to be "socialized services."

(As a quick aside, Daniel Pink talks about the power of the story in his book "A Whole New Mind: Why Right Brainers Will Rule The Future" and I can't help but think that Michael Moore understands that power and made good use of it in this film.)

So far, the day has gone pretty good-- my car was in the shop for several hours, but the bill wasn't in the triple digit price range as I was afraid it might be. I've managed to catch another current movie that people are sure to be talking about, so I won't feel completely out of touch with the general public gestalt.

Then, it gets even slightly better-- there's this restaurant called The Bonefish Grill that I enjoy, but I hardly ever eat there because it is so far away and a little pricey. I used to get their "Bang Bang Shrimp" appetizer back in the day, until I was diagnosed with the whole peanut allergy thing. I found out that a new Bonefish Grill restaurant was put in this newly developed area nearby. I wind up going there for my weekly salmon fix, and find out that the recipe for the Bang Bang Shrimp no longer has any peanut oil and/or sauce in it! Woo hoo!

I expect today is going to be a "get my ass back in gear" kind of day. You know, laundry, read and respond to a week's worth of work emails, etc.

No comments: