Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Recipe Hack: Avocado Ice Cream?

There was this recipe in the DC Examiner a few days ago for Avocado Ice Cream. The avocado is one of those "power foods" with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 vitamins, nutrients and phytonutrients-- but sadly, it's not a regular part of my diet. The whole idea of Avocado ice cream was such a novelty, that it appealed to me, but when I added up all the calories and carbs in the original version, I realized it wasn't exactly great for me.

So, I've decided to try to hack the recipe and improve it nutritionally.

AVOCADO ICE CREAM 2.0 ;)

Time: ~1 hour
Result: 1 quart (8 servings, ~200 calories per serving)

3 medium ripe Haas avocados (about 1.5 lbs. and ~750 calories)

3/4 cup Splenda (was sugar in previous version)

1 cup sour cream (this is about 480 calories, so I'm still looking for an alternative)

1/2 cup heavy cream (this is about 400 calories, so I need a better option)

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

a big pinch of salt

Slice the avocados in half, removing the pits. Scoop out the flesh, and cut into chunks. Combine all the ingredients in blender, puree until smooth and the sugar (Splenda) has dissolved. Freeze immediately, using your ice cream maker per the manufacturer's directions.

No comments: