Saturday, October 11, 2008

Firefox Extension Reviews?

I have this idea for a new feature-- a weekly review of a new/random Firefox extension. It seems like an good idea, but there's a snag. Since I'm still running Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther), I can't upgrade to Firefox 3. Many of the recent extensions are designed for Firefox 3, so . . . well, you're smart, I think you can see the problem.

Yes, I could buy Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) for about $129. But I'm in the middle of a home renovation project. Also, I'm not shelling out that kind of money just to do browser extension reviews. Besides, to tap the full potential of Leopard's software features, I understand you want to run it on the Intel chips-- not the G4s.

However, there is a PPC version of Ubuntu Linux 8.04 ("Hardy Heron") that runs nicely on the G4 hardware. And Firefox 3 works just fine on it.

What I'm saying is-- I've made a change from Mac OS X Panther to Ubuntu Linux Hardy Heron as the new default boot option on my personal laptop.

I suspect this will go beyond simple reviews of Firefox extensions very soon.

Which reminds me-- when are we going to see Google Chrome for Linux?

No comments: