Friday, July 11, 2008

My thoughts on dating

(warning: cynical rant coming up!)

This is simple-- I don't date. Period. I don't need to explain or justify it to anyone. Consider it a lifestyle choice on my part and move on. I don't ask you to defend your (being gay or lesbian/being hetero/being married and monogamous/being an unfaitful two-timer/being whatever you happen to be "into"), so please return me the same courtesy. Live and let live, a'ight?

So, to recap:
  1. No, I don't want to date you.
  2. No, I don't want to date your sister.
  3. No, I really have no interest in your gay friend and/or brother, either.
  4. I'm not interested in one night flings, either. Been there, done that, waste of time.
I don't need anyone to "fix me up" because, surprise surprise surprise Gomer Pyle, I'm not "broken."

But, wait-- because here's the ironic part: a decade ago, when I wanted to settle down for long term committed relationship, nobody I was involved with was interested. A decade later and three failed relationships wiser, and suddenly I'm Richard F*ING Gere? Let's examine what's changed about me in the past ten years: I've gained weight, my bald spot has grown, more grey hair, lost muscle mass, etc. Nope, no obvious physical gains in attractiveness. Oh, wait, I almost forgot-- I have a house, a car that's paid off and a steady job.

I've done the math on the whole "long term relationship" deal from my past experiences, and found the pluses were less than the minuses. So, do not waste my time unless you bring something ABSOLUTELY AMAZING to the equation.

No comments: