Thursday, July 31, 2008

GTD = MPG?

Can following David Allen's "Getting Things Done" regimen give you better gas mileage?

Not exactly, but cheeky opening sentences aside, I've noticed that I now fill my tank once every nine days on average-- instead of every seven. (ed. aside: Yes, I'm one of THOSE people who lets his tank go nearly empty before filling up; get over it.) But according to my tripometer, I still get the same miles per gallon as I did before.

So, obviously something in the way I drive has changed.

It's not a conscious thing. I'm not cancelling errands while muttering about the outrageous price of gas. I suspect what's happening is the Getting Things Done (aka GTD, for short) process of capturing what I need to do, as well as the context in where I can do particular tasks, is forcing me to do a better job of getting organized and planning my errands BEFORE I get in the car.

Instead of running a dozen separate errands as they come to mind during the course of a week, I can plan ahead a day or two and combine tasks. For example, I go to the dry cleaners for pickup and drop off, go to the post office to drop off my bills and Netflix returns, hit the restaurant in the same plaza to grab dinner, which also gives me leftovers I can take in for lunch at work the next day, etc. You get the concept. GTD makes you more efficient, so you get more accomplished with less driving.

For me, filling up my gasoline tank less frequently appears to be an ancillary benefit of "Getting Things Done." Is anyone else out there seeing similar results?

No comments: