Monday, June 9, 2008

Firefox 3, Release Candidate

When I "rebuilt" my ASUS eee PC (OS & software, not hardware), one of the "upgrades" I chose was to go with the latest Firefox 3 candidate. It's supposed to fix all sorts of bugs and errors, use less memory, run faster-- maybe even cure the common cold? Okay, so I exaggerate a little bit, but you have to admit the hype surrounding the latest version of Firefox has been intense.

Based on what I've seen, it's still got some issues to get resolved.

Perhaps it's unique to the ASUS eee PC, but I find that the scrollbar side of the mouse trackpad suddenly gets disabled/ignored once I'm in Firefox 3. That feature works fine in all other programs, including the previous version of Firefox, so I know it's not a problem with the hardware of the operating system.

It also keeps asking me to install the Flash plugin. I install it, restart Firefox, and then it's like it's never been installed. To be fair, it may be that I need to be running Firefox as a superuser in order for it to be able to install the plugin properly.

For the time being, I think I'll go back to Firefox 2.

No comments: