Friday, May 16, 2008

Analyze Automate This

I leave my laptop at work overnight one night every week, so it can make up backup copies of my work websites as well as my entire hard drive on an external drive. I guess I'd be stretching it a little bit if I claimed it was truly automation, but this practice has saved my proverbial bacon more than once. It's nice-- all I have to do is remember to leave the laptop on and connected to the external hard drive, and Windows Scheduled Tasks and NT Backup software takes care of the rest.

I'd like to find some way to apply more of that dynamic to other parts of my life. I'm not sure exactly how or what, mind you, but for instance:

if my iBook fired up at 6:00 AM every morning, launched iTunes and grabbed the latest podcast episodes and transferred them to my iPod. Of course, I can't even get iTunes to automatically load podcasts when I manually connect my iPod, so I'd need to troubleshoot that mess before I have any hope of automating the whole process.

No comments: