Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Web Developer's Toolkit

I've been working on a web project lately-- and it's got me thinking I should really put together a sort of "Web Developer's Toolbox." I mean, I currently use Dreamweaver, and I have templates-- but that's not the sort of thing I'm talking about here.

For instance, about two months I started using "Nifty Cube" to get the rounded corners effect on portions of my templates. It's actually turned out surprisingly well-- I can give my clients pretty rounded corners and columns of even lengths AND still have my valid XHTML pages without tables used as layout controls and spacer.gif files cluttering things up. And yet, I can't say honestly that I'm entirely fluent and comfortable in Nifty Cube (yet?). I need to use it repeatedly in as many different situations and designs as possible, until it becomes second nature.

So, tonight I decided to redo the default index page that comes with OS X's "Personal Web Sharing" feature-- rewrote it as valid Transitional XHTML, replaced the table layout with div tags instead, and then plugged in the link to the Nifty Cube code. It didn't work properly at first, until I realized I needed to put in a link break with a clear: both instruction to get the nested, floating div tags to render properly.

So, what other items should I consider adding to my "toolkit?" Dojo? Prototype?

No comments: