Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

NOTE: I'm sure some faux-feminist will read this entry, and then deliberately distort it into a justification for a personal attack-- so let me preemptively tell you: "You don't know me or what's in my heart, and if you think you are qualified or have the authority to judge me, you can kiss my huge hairy hindquarters!"

Let's get on with it, shall we?

If it's wrong for single young men to objectify single young women as sexual playthings, isn't it also wrong for single middle-aged women to objectify their middle-aged male counterparts as walking ATM machines or sperm banks?

It's funny, but back when I wanted to be serious about relationships, no one took me seriously or gave me a fair shake. After wasting a decade of my life and energy trying to "make it work" with a series of disastrous relationship partners, I gave up on relationships entirely. I am sincerely happier now that I am single, alone and unattached, than I've ever been in a long-term relationship. Believe me, I'm as surprised as anyone.

This epiphany is a cosmic signal for every single mother and/or unwed middle-aged woman in a 200 mile radius to lecture me about how I should be in a relationship ("with them," is frequenty implied.) Ladies, I'm going to let you in on a little secret here-- I find it offensive when you do that to me. I'm a grown man and you cannot presume to know what is best for me. So, here's the arrangement, you stop trying to use me to fix whatever empty place you feel you have in your life, and I won't start calling you rude names like "pushy old hag."

No comments: