Monday, February 4, 2008

Stainless Steel Refrigerators and Magnets

You learn the darndest things while researching home improvement projects. I recently learned my ancient refrigerator was causing an issue with my electricity-- the motor creates an enormous draw whenever it starts the defrost cycle. Rather than spend the money to replace the motor, it makes more sense to purchase a new fridge.

I even know what I want in a new model-- ice maker/water dispenser in the door, freezer and refrigerator side by side, and a stainless steel finish. Then, of course, I started doing research on models, reliability, etc. and learned that everything I want is wrong bad problematic.
For example, I use magnets to put all sorts of odds and ends on my fridge-- business cards, calendars, pictures, and so on. No problem, though, because stainless steel is magnetic. Right?

Actually, it depends. ;)

See, "stainless steel" is actually a generic term for any steel alloy. So, depending upon what other metal is added to the steel, it can change some of the properties of the end product. It turns out that some refrigerators with stainless steel finishes use nickel in their alloy-- and that type of stainless steel isn't magnetic.

Good thing I learned that before I spent all that money on the fridge and those fancy Global knives then.