Thursday, January 31, 2008

VoteChooser.com

A friend of mine shared a web site with me that I find simultaneously fascinating and appalling.

It's called VoteChooser.com and it is basically a 10 question quiz that matches your political ideology against the platforms of the various presidential candidates. It's interesting because this draws in some folks who wouldn't normally think/talk/engage in presidential politics. I gave it a try and found it confirmed what my gut impression was-- so it's at least consistent when you have an opinion or preference already in mind.

On the other hand, I'm appalled that choosing the next leader of our nation can somehow be reduced to something comparable to the latest Quizilla creation ("Which presidential candidate personality type are you??!"). Can something so important really be condensed to just 10 questions?

Makes you think, doesn't it?