Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Definition of "basic" and "free" confounds me

Either the cell-phone marketing types are playing games with language, or I've suffered a massive stroke and no longer am capable of understanding what "basic" or "free" means.

I recently went through the process of helping my mother replace her old analog cell phone with a new digital one. The goal was to get her a basic phone, because I knew if it came with too many fancy bells and whistles that she would never use it. Verizon was offering the Motorola W385 as their basic entry point to their digital service.

So, I start reading reviews on the phone and the majority of them are singing the praises of this basic phone. Then I look at the actual phone specs: it's got Bluetooth, a camera, GPS. What the-- when did a "basic" phone come with GPS in it?! And what features differentiate the "higher end" phones: telepathic interfaces? temporal displacement?!

I know, I shouldn't get so worked up about something that is obvious marketese.

Except then I start looking at AT&T Wireless' web site, because I've been contemplating upgrading to a higher functioning phone myself. I specifically check out the grouping of phones marked "Free" and start seeing prices on them, such as $9.99 or $19.99. I guess "free" has a new definition of "less than $20 USD?" C'mon guys, don't try to play word games on your customers before they decide to start distrusting you.