Saturday, December 1, 2007

Google Maps and Google Docs

This may be a case of the technology progressing faster than I can learn it, but I read a blog entry months ago about creating customized Google Maps without having a web host or database. The idea is that you can use a Google Docs spreadsheet to "power" the mapping engine.

I have to admit, I couldn't get it to work when I tried it several months ago-- but now that I have taken a class on Ajax and "made peace" with Javascript, I thought I'd come back and take another stab at it. This time, I was able to get it up and running in less than an hour.

The intriguing part is that you can share out Google Docs with others and allow them to collaborate on the spreadsheet document . . . which means other people can add/delete/update locations on your map without even having to know any code. Pretty cool concept, don't you think?

Of course, now that it is possible to collaborate directly in Google Maps, it's all sort of a moot point-- but at least I know I was able to figure it out.