Thursday, August 30, 2007

Linux revisited

About 12 years ago, I got my first taste of Linux Slackware. I was amazed at how robust it was, at how it could offer so much while using so little resources. I was also frustrated as heck, trying to get X Windows up and running.

Since that time, I've had to work with various incarnations of Windows (NT/2K/XP), FreeBSD, and Mac OS X.

But for some reason, I seem to feel the need to revisit Linux. Maybe it's the popularity of Ubuntu? I don't know, to be honest.

I have been kicking around the idea of buying one of those new Dell laptops with Ubuntu on it. $700 is kind of pricey for what might turn out to be a whim, though.

So, instead, I've opted to use VMWare player with Damn Small Linux's most recent ISO. I was delighted to see that it automagically supports my wireless card.