Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Who put the F U in FujiFilm?

I have this old Fuji Film FinePix 2600Z camera. It's only 2 megapixels, which I realize is puny by today's standards, but it has been a fine little camera for my purposes. Only problem is, it's broken now. See, the plastic tabs on the battery cover door broke, so it no longer allows the batteries to make constant, reliable electrical contact. Unless you are willing to physically hold the battery cover closed as you operate the camera, it will shut off on you.

Here's the funny part-- it'd be trifling easy to repair. There's a removable spring hinge; all I'd need is the battery door replacement part. Fuji Film, however, refuses to sell the parts to individuals anymore, even though they used to do this in the past. They will only sell the parts to repair companies. So, I made some phone calls and learned that it would basically cost me $65 and a 4 to 6 weeks turn around time to get a new battery door installed on my camera.

Now, considering that I can buy the same exact make and model of camera for about $70 online, and have it shipped to me in less than a week, I don't see the value in repairing it. Heck, I'd be better off selling my camera for its individual parts and buying a brand new camera (preferably from a company that doesn't have a policy against shipping repair parts to individuals.)

No comments: