Wednesday, May 9, 2007

WWW Wednesday: LaptopLock

Some time ago, I wrote about Lojack for Laptops, a software and service that allows people to recover their stolen laptops. Although that product is available for both PC and Mac, I focused primarily on the Mac OS X version.

In the interest of "equal time," I wanted to post a quick entry about LaptopLock. I haven't had a chance to actually try it out yet, but it appears to be a free software client for Windows PCs that allow you to carry out certain actions if your laptop is ever stolen. Examples would be things like: erasing critical data, sending a message to the person using your laptop, etc. All of this presumes that the computer gets connected to the Internet after it is stolen, of course.

They do not have a version for Mac or Linux at this time, although they do say that if you feel like writing one, they'd be happy to talk with you. If only I had the time and the skillset.

No comments: