Friday, April 20, 2007

We will not whine before it is time :( Ok, it's time now.

Well, much as I hate to say it, my idea of using Blogspot as an app platform for a wine reference via XHTML capable cell phones is apparently a failure.

When I try, for example, to pull up the list of red wines on my cell, I get the message that the amount of data being processed (by the browser? by the proxy??) is too large. When I read Nokia's browser specs, it says it has a 32 K maximum. When I download and save the page on my desktop computer, it only weighs in at 20K. The only hypothesis I have is that the iframe at the top of blogspot pages somehow isn't "counted" by my desktop web browser . . . but it's just enough to push my cell phone past its limits.

Since there's no apparent way to get rid of the blogspot toolbar at the top (while still hosting it on Blogspot.com, I mean), I can't even test my hypothesis very easily.

So, it looks like Wine411 gets sent to "the farm" . . . where it can run free and play with other web projects of mine that never quite worked right.

No comments: