Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Under Construction

Just a heads up for all two of my readers . . . this web site is going to be undergoing some renovations over the next few days weeks. Even though I keep my work and this blog completely separate, it's hard for me to advocate for web standards at my work place when I know I have a personal web blog that isn't using valid HTML.

Until now. ;)

That's right-- last night I ran my blog through the World Wide Web Consortium's HTML validator and either fixed or removed anything that generated an error. As of today, the front page of this site consists of valid HTML (Transitional). I'd actually been hoping for Strict, but blogspot makes mandatory use of iframe tags which forces me to use Transitional instead. Perhaps when I finally get my own shell account with web hosting I will be able to change this site over to Strict, but for right now I'm happy.

So, now that you understand my motivation for doing all this work, you are probably asking your self:

"What does this mean for me, the reader?"

It means that I'm going to be experimenting with different technologies that affect the look and feel of this web. While I'm experimenting, there will be good results and bad results.

To give you a small example, try this in Firefox:

1) Click on View on the pull down menu.

2) Select Page Style. A secondary menu should pop up.

3) Choose any other color besides "White."