Sunday, March 25, 2007

Stream of Consciousness

It's been a productive, but slightly hectic weekend. I took Friday off to get some things done because I'd worked for two Sundays prior to that. I managed to take my old Pentium 133 boxes to the local recycling center. In a small way, it was a little sad-- because those were the boxes I used to teach myself FreeBSD. But the fact of it is that when I moved my network to a completely wireless set up, those machines couldn't play a role, and it just wasn't worth the money and hassle to adapt those machines for a wireless network. I tried to give them away, but no one wanted to learn FreeBSD in order to get a free machine, and XP/Win2K were just too resource intensive to run on those old beasts. So, out they went.

I also wound up doing four loads of laundry, so now I actually have clean short sleeved tshirts for the spring and summer weekends that will be here in the not too distant future. I managed to get all my tax info together and mailed off to the tax preparer. We're going to file electronically this time around, and I've asked for direct deposit-- so hopefully I will get my refund sooner. I have this sneaking suspicion that the home improvement projects
will begin again in earnest now that the nice weather is here, and that refund will be spent very quickly. I also managed to clean out all the clutter that had accumulated in my car, and got the salt and grime washed off of it.

The theme for this weekend appears to be: less is the new more. ;)

See, this is what I hate about blogging. I'm re-reading this post, trying to pretend that I'm a third party. Why should I care what some schlub I've never met in real life did this weekend? There's nothing about this particular post that is redeeming or valuable. It's just some dude recounting his less than eventful weekend. Thank God this is Blogger and not Twitter, otherwise we'd get by the minute updates about his growling stomach!

Give me something I can use. Tell me something I didnt' know, so I can turn it around and improve the quality of my life somehow. That's what I, as a blog reader, want to see.

Okay, a fair enough criticism. Let's try this again.

A few weeks ago, I bought new air valve caps for my tires. See, I'm lousy at the whole "check your tire pressure on a regular basis" crap. Months can go by before I will dig out that pressure gauge and check the tire pressure on my car. Part of it is that I don't usually think about it, or if I do manage to remember it, the weather is bad-- and who wants to get down on their knees when the ground is still wet from the recent rain. What's so nice about these particular valve caps is that they tell you with a color indicator when one of your tires is under-inflated. If you see a green ring at the end of the valve cap, all is well. If you don't see one, then you need to add air to the tire in question. It's quick and easy. I can give my four tires a quick visual inspection just by walking around the car one time in a full circle. Because it is so easy, I actually find myself checking the tire pressure this way more often than I ever did with the tire pressure gauge.

I have to admit, I was concerned and skeptical at first. $14 for valve caps?! Then, to make matters even worse, I read a bad review about some of the products. But I think these caps work pretty well and I think I'm even seeing an improvement in my car's overall gas mileage.

No comments: